Monday 5 November 2012

Sorting


Hello, hello. How is everyone on this lovely sunny Autumn day? I'm still here, getting bigger by the minute! Just two weeks to go until my official due date but I'm hoping it will come sooner. I am trying to keep really active, cleaning and polishing everything in sight! 


I've also been doing a lot of sorting and organising. On Saturday I decided that my sewing things needed a major sort out. I had stuff all over the place in lots of different boxes and containers. All my large fabric pieces are fairly organised in big bags so they didn't need dealing with, but it was all the small stuff that needed attention. Buttons, fabrics, ribbons and accessories were in a state of disarray.


As well as starting work in the evenings on new items for my etsy shop, I also really really wanted to get back to my little hexie project that has been on hold for longer than I care to admit. I was inspired my Mrs Bun's mobile making box and decided to make one of my own for hexie making. Sorting through everything I realised I had about three tins all of which were filled with very little so I emptied them all out and began again. I decided to use this pretty blue one for the hexies. I went through the fabrics I'm using for the project and cut a load into squares then cut a lot of paper bits too. I added some thread and a needle as well as a small pair of scissors and now it's ready to go. It's pretty small so will fit into the baby change bag. I actually couldn't resist starting on a few last night while watching Downton(so sad it's over) and they're so quick to do. I've enough now to start adding to the patch shown in the last picture. 


A second  slightly larger tin has been filled with small scraps of felt and some bits I started but didn't finish and which now may become part of something else. 


The third tin is for current projects. So it's sort of like the hexie tin but for items I am making to sell. I'm really loving the idea of having everything organised like this. I know that once baby arrives time for me is going to be in short supply so knowing that I have everything handy is a wonderful feeling. I know that even if I get just 10 minutes to myself suddenly I can open up one of my little tins and get on with some stitching. 


You'll notice that there is a lot of felt in these pictures. It really is my favourite thing to work with at the moment  and a lot of my new products are going to be using it. It's so lovely to work with and it means a lot of hand sewing which to be honest is going to be the best way for me to work in the coming months. Despite being a stay-at-home Mummy and very soon having two small people to look after, I do have the need to be creative and I do have the need to make just a little bit of money. Being able to work on small hand stitched projects is perfect for this. 


Little F has gone for a nap now so I'm going to put my feet up and open one of my tins right away. Hopefully I'll be back again in a few days to share with you pictures of the nursery. But if I go a bit quiet you'll know little munchkin has come early due to all my manic cleaning activity! 

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx



6 comments:

Vintage Sheet Addict said...

Think you have exactly the right ideas, small project to pick up when you have little snippets of time and energy! Good luck with the cleaning and sorting!!! :)

Katie said...

I love this idea of organised tins for projects, I've got little baskets with different "current" projects in. Put your feet up and rest. Lots of love katie xx

mrsrobinson said...

Lovely hexies! Sorting all those crafty bits seems a nice way to spend an afternoon... the sort of thing I do to distract from the housework! And so sweet blue tin

tlcukjourney said...

2 weeks??? HOW EXCITING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations! It looks like you're "nesting".... Love your quilt!

the linen cloud said...

Love your sorting ... need to do this ... relax and enjoy the wait to meet your lovely lttle bundle ... Bee xx

magie said...

I desperately need to sort out my craft things..they are currently just thrown all together in a storage box under the bed. I really like your idea though..I may have to do the same.
Not long at all to go till your lil one arrives, how exciting! I look forward to hearing the good news :)
Magie x

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin