Monday 8 August 2011

Settling in and going out.




We're finally here in our lovely new home. Gosh, it's been a busy few weeks and I can't believe it's been so long since I was last here with you. Unfortunately we've been without internet access which has meant I've had to stay away longer than I'd hoped.


We've been busy trying to make things feel a little homely but my goodness, there is so much to do. I hope to take some photos over the next few days to show you 'the before', so I can then show the changes we make. Probably the worst room is the kitchen and I'm extremely relieved that we are having a new one installed in a couple of weeks. We are counting the days. Not only does it look horrific, but it also smells odd and is totally impractical. But more on that one once I have photos to show you.


Simon has been busy attacking the back garden and we now have double what we thought we had! Shrubs, trees and undergrowth were so overgrown that we had just a narrow strip of grass down the middle. Unfortunately due to a misbehaving camera I didn't take any before photos but I will take some of how it looks now as although it has been cleared of all the jungle it still looks pretty awful as we are now left with a pretty barren space that is ready to be reworked and made beautiful.


Luckily, in terms of decoration, it is neutral throughout and the paintwork is in fairly good condition so there isn't the a desperate need for absolute imediate decorating. We have time to think about any decorative changes we will make. We will of course be painting the kitchen though once the new units are installed.


Little F's room is perhaps the most organised and homely. I need to put up pictures and make some bits and bobs to decorate the walls, but luckily his curtains from our old house fitted perfectly and we have all his furniture in place. I want to paint a couple of bits in there, a bookcase and little chair, but there is no hurry. I'll take some pictures of how it is looking so far.


As well as the work we are doing on our home, we are trying to have some holiday fun as well. We spent the first week of Simon's hols down in Dorset which was absolutely lovely. We had the most perfect weather and it was just what we needed after the madness of the news. Today we had a holiday in a day. Do you ever do that? Sometimes it's possible to go out for a lovely day and feel like you've had a mini holiday. We're very lucky where we are living now in that within a few minutes drive we can be in beautiful countryside. Our drive today took us through beautiful woodlands and country lanes and we ended up in one of our favourite villages that is only a short drive away.



The picture at the top of the post is a view from the lovely village where we enjoyed a delicious pub lunch today. The sweetest windmill sitting on top of a steep hill above a lovely valley. The village and Mill are both well known to anyone who is a fan of 'Chitty Chitty Bang Bang' or a regular viewer of 'The Vicar of Dibley'. It was so lovely to be there today. The sun was shining and we sat in a pretty garden enjoying the view, then explored the sweet little church. I'll leave you for today with more images from today. I'll be back again soon with house pictures.


Fiona x


















5 comments:

Tina said...

Hi dear Fiona!!
How lovely to hear about you!! I am glad that you are all happy and settled into your new house.
Lovely pictures! I hope to hear again from you soon.
xx

bellaboo said...

Lucky you! I'm longing to move further into the countryside...(into my dream cottage!)
You have picked a lovely part of the country to live.Turville is so pretty. :0)

Anonymous said...

This is such a pretty village Fiona. Isn't it lovely to have nice places to visit on your doorstep?

We moved into our new home 10 days ago, but we are still unpacking and I'm getting tired of looking at mountains of boxes. My husband's idea of helping is to mix up the contents of all the boxes, or pull them all out and create piles. It's driving me crazy! I had to take everything out of the kitchen cupboards and reorganise last night because I knew that I couldn't live with having my baking ingredients mixed with the pasta etc a moment longer!

Marie x

Margie’s daughter Leiny said...

Happy New Home, it does take some time to settle in but it is well worth it. My daughter lives in Henley and I visit every other month. The Bull and Butcher is one of my favourite lunchtime haunts, pity about the wasps under the apple tree,last time we visited we walked up the lane to the wind mill. Looking forward to seeing your new home photos. Big hugs, Margie.

Attic24 said...

How wonderful to catch up with you Fi, it's been a while and I've been meaning to come "chat" with you for ages!!
How exciting to have a house move and lots of nesting to now look forward to, altho I well remember the stress of shifting all of ones belongings. Not read further back thru your blog yet, so not sure what the "news" is yet lol, will have to keep reading!
That windmill looks familiar, we used to live down that way for a wee while too, is it somewhere like Turville?? My memory is a bit hazy from that time in my life pre-kids lol!!!
Sending lots of love to you and your two sweet men-folk ♥
Lucexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin